Date: 2/22/17 8:59 am
From: Walt Webb <wwebb24...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Red-wings; Grosbeaks in the Past, Westwood
With all the postings about Red-winged Blackbirds being seen, I probably
should have reported the small flock that visited my feeders in Westwood
during the Blizzard of '17 on Feb. 9. Among the 15 species that day, I had 6
male Red-wings that came even to my window feeders--a first.

Sean Reily mentioned Evening Grosbeaks coming to his parents' Ipswich yard
during the winters of the late 1970s to the early 1980s. Here in my Westwood
back yard, I had them in the early 1970s (flocks from a dozen to at least
30), the mid-70s, a dozen in '81, & only one in '87. So 30 years have
elapsed since I last saw them in my yard.

Walt Webb
Westwood, MA
<wwebb24...>

Join us on Facebook!