Date: 2/22/17 7:03 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Durand-Eastman Park Yesterday
My wife Mari and I joined Judy Slein on a walk in Durand-Eastman Park
yesterday. Just inside the Wisner Road entrance there were at least 8 PINE
SISKINS in the trees, probably more based on the calls we were hearing, and
a flock of 50+ Snow Geese flew overhead going east. The hotspot for birds
on the walk was the bike trail on the east side of Tamarack Swamp (across
Lake Shore Blvd from the Pine Valley entrance to the park). In addition to
numerous juncos, tree sparrows, goldfinches, 3 sp. of woodpeckers, singing
Carolina Wren, etc.), Mari spotted a GRAY CATBIRD which we all got to see
well. At one point a Red-tailed Hawk zoomed right over our heads and hit
the ground less than 100 feet away in an attempt to catch a dove (which got
away). As we were leaving that spot Judy heard a WINTER WREN song so we
went back and all heard it as it sang a second time. An enjoyable spring
day in February.