Date: 2/22/17 6:32 am
From: David Hart <david.hart...>
Subject: Re: Kingbird Highway - another book for the life list.
Also highly recommended: “Hope Is the Thing With Feathers,” by Christopher Cokinos (not to be confused with Noah Stryker’s similarly titled one), a beautifully written meditation and natural history of six extraordinary birds lost to extinction: Carolina Parakeet, Passenger Pigeon, Labrador Duck, Heath Hen, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, and Great Auk.

Dave Hart
Chapel Hill, NC

From: <carolinabirds-request...><mailto:<carolinabirds-request...>> on behalf of Ann Truesdale <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM
To: "<carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>" <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>>

I agree that Kingbird Highway is a fantastic read. I'll have to use my
phone as you suggest when I reread it, as I plan to do soon. Thanks for
the idea!

Ann

Ann Truesdale
<anntrue...><mailto:<anntrue...>
Meggett, SC

On 2/21/2017 7:27 PM, Jim G (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
Good Evening Birders,

With work, budgets and other constraints, I don't get near enough time
to go birding. Luckily, I have found that reading can partly satisfy my
insatiable birding desires.

Without going into detail, I can say with conviction that you must read
Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman. Considering this was published in
1997, some might think I'm a little late, but it was certainly an
entertaining, educational and even emotional read for this 31 year
novice birder. In fact, using my smartphone to quickly look up
unfamiliar birds mentioned by Kenn, made the book so much more
enjoyable. I recommend that approach.

Other books on my list include:

The Genius of Birds - Jennifer Ackerman
The Thing With Feathers - Noah Strycker