Date: 2/21/17 7:07 pm
From: Tim <timberwolf69...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Reedsport Hummers
Thanks Matthew,

I have enjoyed birds all my life but only fairly recently really got into identification. I have enjoyed these Anna's for years and never had a clue their tail feathers were not as long as they should be. I see quite a few females at our feeders and the females of all three species we see here are much more tolerant of me being close to them. In fact the Allen's and occasionally the Anna's will let me hand feed them. I was pretty certain these were Anna's because I have never seen a Calliope here on the coast around any feeders I've seen. Also if I had been able to get a shot with the male Rufous on the same feeder with 2 Anna's females the first night he showed up it would be clear they much larger than the Rufous. I will post more shots if the Allen's show up this year to see if everyone agree's they're Allen's.

Tim Gannon

Reedsport

Hi All,I was curious to look at Tim Gannon's short-tailed hummingbird that Paul and Karen have commented on (https://www.flickr.com/photos/...<https://www.flickr.com/photos/141358197@N06/albums/72157676957687094/with/32876336181/).> I believe this is a short-tailed Anna's Hummingbird. Here is a photo of a similarly configured Anna's Hummingbird taken by Joshua Little just a few days ago over at Salishan (part of their Brown Thrasher expedition):https://macaulaylibrary.org/as...<https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/48704241#_ga=1152183737.1629333466.1456037604Note> that Joshua's bird looks fairly petite, and appears to have a short tail compared to the wingtips. However, it has all other features typical of Anna's Hummingbird, including a nice continuous dark line from eye to bill (goes from thick to thin), a noticeable "forward pale eyebrow," and long even-skinny-width primaries. Tim Gannon's bird has these features as well. Here's another recent one from near Milton-Freewater with wingtip about equal to tail (ignore the out of place left wing): https://macaulaylibrary.org/as...<https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/48701521#_ga=1176203941.1629333466.1456037604A> female Calliope Hummingbird would show a broken (dark then pale) area between eye and bill, typically no pale forward eyebrow, and broad and more curved primaries toward the tip.I don't know if these short-tailed Anna's are immature birds or molting females, or both---maybe someone else can see something in the photos to indicate age/sex---but they are not uncommon.The following short notes don't directly address the Anna's/Calliope comparison, but may be of use in studying these species in more detail:http://umpquabirds.blogspot.co...<http://umpquabirds.blogspot.com/2016/01/careful-with-calypte-in-december-2015.htmlhttp://umpquabirds.blogspot.com/2015/05/study-female-calliope-hummingbird-in.htmlMatt> HunterSW Oregon

Join us on Facebook!