Date: 2/21/17 2:31 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Chicago Botanic Garden & Techny North Tuesday 2-21-17
Hello Bird People,

Covered all areas of the CBG for a fairly long time (3 1/2 hours) &
found 25 species none of which was anything special. Here's my site
list.

Chicago Botanic Garden (8:15-11:45 a.m.)

Canada Goose (18)
Mallard (34)
Gadwall (8, all at the B.Brown Preserve pond)
Ring Necked Duck (1-M, originally with the Goldeneye but gone later)
Common Goldeneye (1-AD-M, 2 young males & 4 females)
Killdeer (2 back at the mud flat area)
Ring Billed (1) & Herring (6-7) Gulls
Mourning Dove (7-8)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (heard 1)
Blue Jay (heard 1)
Crows (3 fly-bys)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (heard 1)
Robins (15-18)
Starling (2 fly-bys)
Cardinal (3-M & 1-F)
Tree Sparrow (6-7)
Song Sparrow (2 with 1 singing)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (2)
Junco (9)
Red Winged Blackbird (25-30)
Common Grackle (3-4)
Goldfinch (10-11)
(No Redpoll today)
House Sparrow (8)

Techny North (12:30-1 p.m.)

Pretty much the same as yesterday with higher G.W. Teal numbers & a
Turkey Vulture fly-by.

Canada Goose (6 in the water & 26 more thinking about joining those in
the water)
Mallard (14-16)
PINTAIL (1 continuing female)
Green Winged Teal (More have joined the 3 males for a new total of 12
of which 9 are males & 3 females)
TURKEY VULTURE (1 slowly flying along the stream from north to south)
Red Tailed Hawk (2-AD soaring together)
Kestrel (1 female remains from yesterday's pair)
Killdeer (2 continuing on the mud flats)
Rock Pigeon (A flock of 8 flying toward Willow Road)

So nothing too exciting but Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the slowly flying
Turkey Vulture &
Runner-Up to the 2 White Throated Sparrows of which I have only seen a
few this year in our area.

However, Mammal-Of-The-Day is somewhat more exciting & goes to a MINK
crossing the road near the east end of the mud flat area.

Al Stokie
Again close to home in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: