Date: 2/21/17 2:12 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Helping protect Illinois's rare bird species (no sightings)
As a follow-up to my recent post, if you would like to make some of your rare bird sightings really count for something, I have some information that you should save for the next occasion that you happen to find an Illinois Threatened or Endangered bird species (or plant, mammal, herp....). First, you'll need the most recent update of the species that are currently considered threatened and endangered in Illinois (https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/ESPB/Documents/2015_ChecklistFINAL_for_webpage_051915.pdf ). Though this list relates to creatures/plants that breed/are growing in the state, certain laws apply to them no matter what time of year they are seen in our state. For instance, the Red Knot was recently added to Illinois' T&E list, though Red Knots do not breed in Illinois. Likewise, Forster's Terns, Ospreys, Northern Harriers and other bird species that are on Illinois' T&E list are much more common at other seasons of the year in Illinois, other than the breeding season, but as an Illinois T&E species, there will be certain laws that still apply to these species that help protect them even outside of the breeding season.

I digress, as my main point in this post is to let folks know, that if you really want to help protect Illinois T&E species, especially while they are here breeding, you should go to this Illinois Natural History Survey web page (http://wwx.inhs.illinois.edu/private/intranet/idot/wetland-clearinghouse/forms-and-data/ ) and click on the form (Endangered/Threatened Species Occurrence and Sighting Report Form (EOR)<http://wwx.inhs.illinois.edu/download_file/view/14324/5242/>
(Email completed form to <Jeannie.Barnes...><mailto:<Jeannie.Barnes...>), and fill out this form (referred to as an EOR form) and send it in each time you find an Illinois T&E species. Make sure to remember the exact location where you find the species, as that will be needed in case the record is called upon at a later date. As part of my work, I occasionally check on such sites where an Illinois T&E bird species was previously found in past years. IDOT must check such locations out before they can proceed with any road work that they may have planned in the state. I've had to check on many Bald Eagle nesting (& roosting) locations and a few Peregrine Falcon bridge-nesting locations, as special precautions are needed at these locations. Leroy Harrison and Bob Shelby have reported a number of locations where they have found Loggerhead Shrikes in southeastern Illinois, and I have had to check on a couple of these when small road/bridge improvements have been called for along such rural, road locations. So next time you see an Illinois T&E bird species, especially if you suspect that they may be nesting, besides entering the info on an eBird checklist, take a couple of minutes and fill out one of these forms... you will be doing such rare species a big service in helping assure that they continue to be a breeding species in our state.

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!