Date: 2/21/17 6:46 am
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Did migration start?
Since the first snow storm here this winter, I have been experiencing
continuous, unusually heavy feeding at my backyard feeders. The birds were
emptying them in 24 hours or less, and the backyard was alive with birds
most of the daylight hours. That suddenly stopped when the weather became
unusally warm. The feeders are again remaining full for a few days, and the
huge numbers of Juncos, Whitethroated Sparrows and Gold Finches seem to have
departed all at once. The usual numbers of other birds still seem to be
present.

Is this due to migration, or did some natural food source just become
available for "seed eaters"?

Steve Long
Oxford