Date: 2/17/17 6:12 am
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Bushtit nesting in Fort Collins

*Cool observations. Thanks to Dave & Co. for posting. I too have seen two
Bushtit pairs--in eastern Boulder County--in the past couple days. I note
that they are apparent pairs, as opposed to the roving, roiling flocks
present all winter. And I note in particular that I am starting to hear the
high, ringing, ding-a-ling-a-ling vocalization that I have conjectured to
function as song in the species.*

*Although I hear that particular vocalization all year long, it sure seems
to pick up in late winter and early spring. (And, of course, it is not out
of the ordinary for some songbirds to sing all year. Think of Red-winged
Blackbirds and Western Meadowlarks on warm, sunny afternoons in the dead of
winter.) For more conjecture, and even a bit of data, on Bushtit song,
check out:http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/4885
<http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/4885>Ted Floyd*
*Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado*