Date: 2/16/17 4:59 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Jan/Feb Yellow-rumped Warblers Denver metro
This mourning around 8 AM, I was at school at Cherry Creek High School. I
heard the framiliar 'chip' of a Yellow-rumped Warbler. I looked up at the
top of a decidous tree to see the definite size, shape, and flight style of
a Yellow-rumped Warbler. No photos, couldn't see if it was Audubon's or
Mrytle. I actually swear I heard a Yellow-Rumped Warbler in the exact same
tree in mid January, but never saw it, and never ebirded it. Looking at
ebird records, the species has recently been seen near the South Platte
River from around 88th ave in Adams county down to South Platte Park.
Someone saw them at Bible Park in south Denver last January. I myself got
my year bird along the South Platte near 64th ave this weekend. I got last
year's in mid Feb at South Platte Park. This species is "supposed" to be
uncommon around here in the winter. This winter, it seems fairly common in
places. Many birders, including myself, have noticed Ruby-Crowned Kinglets
overwintering in many places this winter. Looking at pre-2005 ebird
records, they seem a lot less common in winter then. Has anyone else
thought this species is unusually common around Denver this winter?

Ben Sampson
Centennial, Co