Date: 2/14/17 6:28 am
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <FCollins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Killdeer, signs of spring.
Laura noted a flock of Killdeer at Santa Ana NWR yesterday. Sunday with temperatures in the 80s, I had a pair on my entrance road where they usually nest. Then yesterday afternoon when I got home there was a tight flock of 16 that flushed from my road and flew out and landed in a far pasture. They remained a tight flock and seemed more interested in resting than actively foraging. Spring has sprung and with the cold front today acting much more like a spring front than a winter one, I conclude that spring is here and migration has begun.
Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324