Date: 2/12/17 4:13 pm
From: Brent Ortego <brentortego...>
Subject: [texbirds] Breeding Bird Survey Volunteer Request 2
Thanks to the 5 people who stepped up and volunteered to run a route.
I can understand the difficulty of running routes in the Trans Pecos and the Panhandle due to the remoteness of the routes.

However, there are several routes near populated areas where distance is less of an excuse.

If you want to help monitor breeding birds, consider the vacant routes posted below.

Thanks

Brent Ortego
Texas Breeding Bird Survey Coordinator
Victoria, TX

BREEDING BIRD SURVEY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

This is my annual request for volunteer sign-up to conduct roadside breeding bird surveys (BBS) in Texas during 2017. There are 1 vacancies in the Panhandle, 3 in West Texas, 4 in North Central Texas, 1 in Central Texas, 2 in Northeast Texas, 3 in Southeast Texas, and 3 in South Texas. Read below for more details.

For those not familiar with the survey methodology, the BBS is the National Survey which is the primary source for breeding bird population trends in the nation. This survey has about 3000 randomly located routes across the United States. Each route is 24.5 miles long with 50 stops spaced 0.5 miles apart. At each stop during a 3 minute period, the observer tallies all birds seen within ¼ mile and all birds heard. The route lasts from 30 minutes before sunrise until you finish which is normally about 11 a.m. The route needs to be run ONCE each year during the months of May or June; exact dates vary with each route. It might require a pre-survey scouting trip just to familiarize yourself with the route, and a little paper/computer work after the route is done. The observer needs to be able to identify most of the birds along the route by call and all by sight. Along routes in agricultural areas, this might only mean about 20 species by call, but in more complex forested areas i
t might mean 70 species.

National and local conservation organizations regularly use BBS data (see www.stateofthebirds.org) in their analysis. They focus very strongly on breeding bird population trends generated by YOUR DATA, and also used bird density data extensively. Partners In Flight has developed models to estimate breeding density and distribution for all species they are tracking with BBS data. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has used the data when they developed a statewide conservation plan for birds (see http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/pwd_pl_w7000_1187a/) . Conservation “Joint Ventures” across the nation regularly use BBS data as they implement their new “All Birds” management goals. It has been very satisfying seeing the product of our works being used to influence national and local decisions on avian conservation.

Texas has 196 BBS routes and 17 vacancies. The National Office has started listing routes as vacant when they have not received data from a volunteer for two years. If you see your route listed as vacant, check your files and resubmit your data because the National Office has not received it.

This seems like a lot of routes, but it is not for a state our size. Due to the variability of the data, we are trying to run at least 14 routes per ecological area and there are 10 ecological areas in Texas. This should provide us a statistically valid sample of population trends of birds breeding near highways. We are getting close to obtaining this sample size in every bird region. We always have problems getting qualified birders to do routes in the more rural parts of the State. While there are plenty of good birders in Texas, the birders are concentrated in urban areas and the birds are spread throughout the State causing logistics problems of running routes in remote parts of the Texas. A classic example is West Texas and the Panhandle, lots of country and few birders.

When you volunteer, I will need your NAME, MAILING ADDRESS, E-MAIL, TELEPHONE NUMBER and ROUTE of interest.

I am listing below vacant routes by geographic areas. Species data for each route can be obtained at the link = https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/RouteMap/Map.cfm. Those areas with the largest numbers of vacancies are the areas needing the most help. If you are interesting in helping, or would like more information, reply to this e-mail.
BBS - USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center<https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/RouteMap/Map.cfm>
www.pwrc.usgs.gov
The North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) is a large-scale, long-term monitoring program designed to track the status and trends of North American bird populations.

PANHANDLE

Route 100 Channing Hartley County

WEST TEXAS

Route 394 Pecos Reeves County
Route 395 Van Horn Culberson County
Route 418 Pumpville Val Verde County

NORTHCENTRAL TEXAS

Route 063 Weatherford Parker County
Route 078 Grayback Wilbarger County
Route 350 Willis Point Van Zandt
Route 361 Megargel Archer County

CENTRAL TEXAS

Route 353 Hawley Jones County

NORTHEAST TEXAS

Route 056 Morton Harrison County
Route 058 Athens Henderson County

SOUTHEAST TEXAS

Route 322 Union Hill Walker County
Route 334 Powell Park San Augustine County
Route 906 Neches Hardin County

COASTAL PRAIRIE

No Vacancies!

SOUTH TEXAS

Route 005 Kingsville Kleberg
Route 019 La Pryor Zavalla County
Route 204 Guerra Zapata County

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/RouteMap/Map.cfm location of route maps

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/PublicDataInterface/index.cfm?fuseaction=PublicDataInterface.viewPublic raw data online retrieval system link provides location of species totals by route by year. Explore US Results and Analysis tab.

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/learning/ BBS Methods
BBS - Learning Tools - Patuxent Wildlife Research Center<https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/learning/>
www.pwrc.usgs.gov
The North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) is a large-scale, long-term monitoring program designed to track the status and trends of North American bird populations.

Brent Ortego
<brentortego...><mailto:<brentortego...>
Victoria, TX

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!