Date: 2/12/17 11:54 am
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Feb 12, 2017
Hi Texbirders,
It was a really fun walk with skilled birders, some of who were new to the
Valley. One couple got 22 life birds! Another guy got 10. Can't even say
how fun it is to share these moments in time!
Soras and Virginia Rails gave us a special treat today... two of each, out
in the open, for several minutes. Crazy good! Over by the towers we found
an agitated bunch of birds, including Green Jays, Altamira Oriole,
Kiskadee, and a couple of Long-billed Thrashers. Clearly they were not
happy about something. One of our participants is a herp guy and he went
over to look at what the ruckus was all about. Sure enough, a young Indigo
Snake was slithering around under the tree! While we were peering at it,
Steve yells "Falcon" and now we have a problem ... should we look down at
the snake or up at the Peregrine? (My kind of problem!)

That's just the kind of day it was. You too can have this much fun. Walks
leave from the Visitor Center at 8:30 am every day of the week.

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
Alamo, Texas

Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, Texas, US
Feb 12, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Breezy and warm, 71-83 degrees range.
55 species (+1 other taxa)

Gadwall (Anas strepera) 15
Mottled Duck (Anas fulvigula) 6
Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors) 35
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) 30
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 15
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) 5
Plain Chachalaca (Ortalis vetula) 8
Least Grebe (Tachybaptus dominicus) 6
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 2
Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) 2
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 2
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) 2
Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor) 3
White Ibis (Eudocimus albus) 2
White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) 2
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 12
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1
Harris's Hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus) 2
White-tailed Hawk (Geranoaetus albicaudatus) 2
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) 2 Extended views of Virginias and
Soras at the same time.
Sora (Porzana carolina) 3 One heard only but extended views of the
other two at the same time.
Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) 1
American Coot (Fulica americana) 25
Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus) 22
Stilt Sandpiper (Calidris himantopus) 2
Long-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus scolopaceus) 40
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 6
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 1
Inca Dove (Columbina inca) 2
White-tipped Dove (Leptotila verreauxi) 2
Common Pauraque (Nyctidromus albicollis) 1
hummingbird sp. (Trochilidae sp.) 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Melanerpes aurifrons) 3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker (Picoides scalaris) 6 some heard only
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 2 Two falcons, one at Pintail and
one at Willow, verified photographically as different. One also seen on the
water tower outside the refuge though it may have been one of the other
birds.
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet (Camptostoma imberbe) 2 Silent bird
seen, very low ... at times below knee level, near trail hub. Another heard
only near towers.
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 4
Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) 1
Couch's Kingbird (Tyrannus couchii) 2
White-eyed Vireo (Vireo griseus) 7 all heard only, everywhere we went.
Green Jay (Cyanocorax yncas) 4
Black-crested Titmouse (Baeolophus atricristatus) 4
Verdin (Auriparus flaviceps) 2 heard only
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 1 heard only
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 6 all heard only but in
multiple places. at times males calling, females answering.
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 1 heard only
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 2
Long-billed Thrasher (Toxostoma longirostre) 2
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) 4
Olive Sparrow (Arremonops rufivirgatus) 5 one at Pintail 2 was singing
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 200
Altamira Oriole (Icterus gularis) 3
Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 1 One seen at Pintail. More heard
at Willow from Chachalaca Trail.

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S34324198

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds