Date: 2/11/17 12:57 pm
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Say's Phoebe Near Rio Beef Feedyard
Hi, all!

While taking visiting birder Barry around the La Sal del Rey area, we
refound the previously reported Say's Phoebe near Rio Beef Feedyard (there
were probably Brewer's Blackbirds in with the mob by the cattle, but were
too far away to tell). We also had three different groups of Turkeys along
the route, one consisting of at least two adults and a bunch of half grown
youngsters! Had great looks at the usual suspects along this route:
Pyrrhuloxia, Caracara, White-tailed Hawk, Sandhill Cranes, and a brief look
at a Roadrunner! Best sparrow was a White-crowned early on, and a Hermit
Thrush at the pond at the north end of Brushline was nice, too! I knew that
FWS had purchased a big hunk of land in the area to add to the LRGV NWR
tract, and we happened to stumble upon it as we headed north on Jesus Maria
road! We ended the day at the Trenton/10th Green Parakeet roost. Some
pictures can be seen on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List:

Gadwall Anas strepera

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo

American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Sandhill Crane Grus canadensis

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

Green Parakeet Aratinga holochlora

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Vesper Sparrow Pooecetes gramineus

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Pyrrhuloxia Cardinalis sinuatus

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

58 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe

Alamo, TX