Date: 2/11/17 12:52 pm
From: Joe Roller <jroller9...>
Subject: [cobirds] Fill in the Gaps at Cherry Creek!
TS Elliott was certainly not a birder.
When he wrote, "April is the cruellest (sic) month..." he was WRONG!
Birders know that *February* is the cruelest month. The excitement of the
Christmas Bird Counts and the joy of starting a new Year List
are in the rear view mirror. The peak of spring migration is months away,
and even March is an absolute bird-fest compared to dull February.

It's a challenge, but we birders can pull out a chair at the "fun table"
for poor February. How?
By taking on this worthy Challenge - "Fill in the eBird Gaps!"

If you log onto eBird and find the Cherry Creek SP hotspot, then view the
data in "Bar Chart" display, you'll notice GAPS in the data for the
3rd week in February. Up until now NO BIRDER has reported any of the
species on this list, so there is gap in the eBird data base. And we can't
have that!
Nature abhors a vacuum.

These species have never been reported to eBird during the 3rd week in
February at the hotspot named: "Cherry Creek SP" -- and many are NOT rare.
Some
will be there when we start filling in the gaps next Wednesday.

Snow Goose
Double-crested Cormorant
Western Grebe
Hairy Woodpecker
Merlin
Prairie Falcon
Eurasian Collared-Dove (easy peasy)
Woodhouses Scrub Jay
Mountain Chickadee
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Rudely-crowned Kinglet
Mountain Bluebird
American Pipit
Townsend's Solitaire
Lapland Longspur
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Harris's, White-throated and Lincoln's Sparrows.

Most of the birds on the list have been seen either the 2nd or 4th weeks in
February, or both.
Those are just the likely ones.
I left out Gyrfalcon, Prairire Warbler and all of the hummingbirds to make
this easier for us.

So contact your birding friends, go to any part of the park, search high
and low! Have a goal during fickle February. Fill in the gaps!

AND, in case you need another incentive, consider this. You may have *had
it* with standing in line to buy candy or flowers, and growing tired of
your fingers sticking
together with glue, as you make your handmade red valentine with the lace
appliqué.
Fill in the Gaps is the perfect excuse to duck Valentine's Day this year.
Try this:
"Honey, this year let's celebrate Valentine's Day on February 25. On
February 14th I'll be busy getting ready to Fill in the Gaps at Cherry
Creek!
(Let me know how that works for you).

When you spot one of the above species or any less common birds that fill
in a gap at CCSP, from the 15th through the 21st, please send a note to
CObirds,
Regale us with your tales, so we can thrill as the gaps fill!

Joe Roller, Denver