Date: 2/10/17 1:43 pm
Subject: Re: Great Kiskadee Bear Island
Jack's post was riddled with misinformation. Probably just the result of a
quick eBird / Internet search.

A search of the literature would reveal that the Great Kiskadee sightings
in BERMUDA (not the Bahamas) derived from introduced birds - not natural
vagrants.

And according to the Texas Breeding Bird Atlas: long-distance vagrancy
among Great Kiskadees is rare and they deem sightings from New Jersey,
Florida, California, etc. to be escaped birds - not wild vagrants.

So questions of provenance would seem to hang over this Bear Island bird.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Jack Rogers <jack...>
<javascript:;>> wrote:
> An amazing sighting indeed! Hope that this bird is refound. Of course,
> found right before I have to go out of town...
> However, it is not the most northerly sighting of this species. That
would
> belong to a 2015 bird that showed up (overwintered, as I remember) in
Volga,

<javascript:;>> wrote:

>> Note, that's Bear Island, South Carolina, not Bear Island, North Carolina
>> - please remember to include state in sightings reports.
>>
>> This would be an amazing record to confirm - most northerly sighting
ever?

>> Here's a link to the Carolina Birders facebook group (you may need to
sign
>> in to see it):
>>

>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
facebook.com_groups_carolinabirders_&d=DwIC-g&c=
imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-
sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrn
nSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=JyklXkd6_yOeIRzwWfA1_-Z3O-_NgVoFs7tXoP4-jMo&e=

>> On 2/9/2017 9:40 PM, L Stacey (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
>>>

>>> A picture was posted on Facebook this evening of a Great Kiskadee from
>>> Bear Island. I have shared the post to the Carolina Birders page. I
have no
>>> location details but the bird was seen today according to the post.
>>>

>>> Lois Stacey
>>> North Augusta, SC
>>>

>> --
>> Will Cook - Durham, NC
>>
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.
carolinanature.com&d=DwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6Y
HLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=
Ta1D9xKOrw3OUbQRX27gxyemu2csrnnSgqn_mmKrX6s&s=r9z8lEgn2yhf-NcyzMElLlbdd0-
5tf93TspmNO8uDNU&e=

> --
> Jack Rogers
> Mt Pleasant, SC