Date: 2/8/17 6:18 pm
From: Bird.fried <bird.fried...>
Subject: [texbirds] Olivia, Calhoun County - Anis and Long-billed Thrashers
Texbirds:

After being away from the great state of Texas for a while, I was anxious to bird my patch again. This morning in thick coastal fog, I birded the Olivia and Port Alto areas. Black-bellied Whistling Ducks were calling in the fog and I managed to coax a Le Conte's Sparrow from suitable habitat.

Things were a bit slow until about 9am when the fog started to burn off. The most surprising thing to me were the large number of Long-billed Thrashers singing from the scrub. I saw and/or heard no less than 11 Long-billed Thrashers along a 4 mile stretch of CR305 and CR314E. I knew these birds were in the area but had no idea their concentration was quite this high. Also of interest, were two Groove-billed Anis near the Olivia cemetery at the intersection of CR314E and CR 317.

The bay overlook held most of the expected species though of interest to me was a single Black Skimmer and Sandwich Tern.

Good birding!
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!