Date: 2/8/17 10:45 am
Subject: RE: Saw-whet Owl taping
I'm not sure that the taping question has approached the level of a dead horse, but it's certainly been beaten rather frequently. It's wrapped up fairly neatly here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nationalparkstraveler.com_2012_07_birding-2Dnational-2Dparks-2Dattracting-2Dbirds-2Drecorded-2Dbird-2Dcalls10313&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Zc0Hifn1jdza5HZekOfTpd5iUP3gXJ5nyBkVeu5fJKo&s=xkOqrQkJE_JUAZQCsJ0tM62oTRtIhRiQy2Rg5OabexI&e=

And really, whether or not it's legal, illegal, or super-uncouth, in my humble opinion, really does not matter (don't freak out yet, read on).

The speed limit on the road into Bodie Lighthouse is something like 15 mph (maybe it's 20, but whatever, you'll see the point). Driving faster than that is illegal. How many folks maintain a full 15 mph the entire way? How many folks have never (ever) exceeded 55 mph on HWY 12? So let's start from the perspective that 98% of birders already did something illegal.

The question might be better phrased, is it WISE to tape. If the bird was really 10 feet on the other side of the NPS boundary would it really change the dynamic?

We should not need a NPS regulation to help our moral compass determine if it is wise to announce to an unlimited population that a single, very easily accessible bird, responds to a tape. So my concern is not so much about whether or not they taped the bird, my concern would be posting to a public site that the bird is present and responsive to a tape. Probably not the best choice, but certainly possible that the observers did not know the impacts of what they were doing, and hey, they were from a neighboring state so we can look down on them condescendingly ;-)

I kind of see this more as an unintended consequence of eBird than a taping issue. eBird allows folks to see that a Saw-what Owl was seen at this specific spot on these specific dates, which makes it easy for folks to chase that particular owl. For better or worse, every time we eBird a rare bird, we are inviting others to join the fun and go see it.

I guess I'll end with a public service announcement to please consider being somewhat circumspect in publicly reporting the locations of roosting owls, nesting raptors, etc. Sadly there are some crazy folks out there and once information is made public, we cannot control who gets it and how they use it. The news today that a Bald Eagle was found shot in the head by a pellet (Chatham County, NC) should remind folks that, for example, by announcing the location of that nest, it may end up being fatal to the occupants. Sadly.

Steve Shultz
From: Kent Fiala
Date: Wed, Feb 8, 2017 8:59 AM
To: carolinabirds;
Subject:Saw-whet Owl taping

Recently I've noticed some eBird checklists that comment on the Saw-whet Owls at Bodie Island Lighthouse (in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore) responding to playback. Does the National Park Service still prohibit use of playback on NPS properties?

Kent Fiala

Join us on Facebook!