Date: 2/8/17 8:09 am
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
Today was a great day of birding. We saw a Mountain Bluebird which was only the second sighting on the refuge ever. For the rest of the group it was a life bird. This bird was discovered by Ross Rassmussen at the end of January. He located it on Short Rd., the same place one was seen in March of 1991. I saw the one in 1991 along with a lot of other North Central Texas birders. There were still at least 5000 White Geese. We finally saw the Greater White-fronted Goose that has been hanging around. The large pond near the Hagerman Cemetery was good for ducks with, Canvasbacks, Wigeons, Lesser Scaups, Redheads, Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwalls and Northern Shovelers. We saw a total of 81 Wilson's Snipe and we saw Long-billed Dowitchers, Greater Yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers in the same area off the end of Tern Pad. We saw Purple Finches at a feeder on Short Rd. We finished the day with 78 species.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist/email?subID=S34229606
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!