Date: 2/6/17 7:27 am
From: Corey, Ed <ed.corey...>
Subject: Spectactular Waterfowl Flights - Pungo Unit (Pocosin Lakes NWR) - 5Feb2017
Yesterday afternoon, while observing from the Washington County portion of Canal D Road, I was able to take in the truly impressive flight of large white waterfowl from Pungo Lake. Thousands of Tundra Swans and tens of thousands of Snow Geese poured out of the lake from 4:35 until 5:50, when I left. In the mix was an impressive assortment of other species, including a Greater White-fronted Goose; 5 Ross's Geese; 24(!!!) Cackling Geese (6 feeding in corn stubble with 2 Canada's, plus 18 mixed in the flyover Snow Goose flocks); and at least one Trumpeter Swan. Feeding in the fields with Atlantic and Lesser Canada Geese was a flock of American Wigeon, with at least one male Eurasian Wigeon in the mix (seemingly a new bird for Washington County, according to Harry's website). Other ducks included Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, and Green-winged Teal. No sign of the Sandhill Cranes previously reported.

If you can spare an evening in the next few weeks, I HIGHLY recommend getting out for this spectacle.

Good birding!

Ed Corey
Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!