Date: 2/5/17 12:26 pm
Subject: Rockingham County, NC CBC results, 78 sp
Mark your calendars for 2017 Rockingham County counts:
Spring: May 2
Fall: Sep 14
Christmas: Dec 21

The 5th Rockingham Count Christmas Bird Count was held on Dec 22, 2016 with
temperatures ranging from 32-63 under clear skies with some afternoon winds.

9 observers in 6 parties tallied a record tying 78 species for the third
year in a row! We tallied 3,948 (average 3,492) total birds led by 544
European Starling, 405 American Crow, 305 Canada Goose and 300 Ring-billed
Gulls.

New count records reflect the warm temperatures throughout the past couple
months and some stray waterfowl: a Common Loon in a pond of Janet Road,
Palm Warbler from the Airport section and an Orange-crowned Warbler at Mayo
Mountain park ponds.

Other goodies include second records for Blue-headed Vireo, Gray Catbirds
and Rusty Blackbird.

Misses include Gadwall (2nd miss), Bufflehead (4th miss), Northern Harrier
(1st miss), Bald Eagle (2nd miss), Red-winged Blackbird (1st miss), Purple
Finch (2nd miss) and Pine Siskin (2nd miss). Oh and will we ever find a
Cormorant on this count...

Thank you all so much for your help! GREAT JOB!!! Our continuing goal is
to break 80 species…not bad for a foothills count!

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!