Date: 2/4/17 7:58 am
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] First Sandhill Cranes in San Luis Valley

As I was heading for some ice fishing on the east side of the Valley
yesterday, I spotted 4 Sandhill Cranes near Fort Garland (Costilla County).
This is an area that was recently declared an emergency due to deep and
drifting snow. These birds would fare better on the west side, where snows
are deep, but not quite as deep.

There are at least 300 Rosy-finches of 3 kinds at Hostettlers on the south
Gunbarrel (Co Hwy 15) (Conejos County). She does not mind birders stopping
and taking a look. Go one mile past the end of the pavement and it's on the
east side of the road.

Finally had a report of Rock Wren near Lobatos Bridge, Conejos County. I
hope to check it out. It would be a first winter record for the species in
the SLV.

Finally getting a bit of a thaw down here. Things about to get muddy!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO