Date: 2/3/17 7:07 am
Subject: Re: Mandarin Duck in Asheville
Hi Ron -

For what it's worth, the male Mandarin first appeared at Beaver Lake
Bird Sanctuary in March 2016.
At that time there was also a female present with him. She was only
seen for that first month, but the
male has been seen on and off since then.

(Speculation for origin also includes the ongoing group located at
Lake Susan in Montreat, which is
about 15 miles distant, as the duck flies.)

Jay Wherley
Asheville

On 2/2/17 10:14 PM, RonC8 (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I was amazed to find a male Mandarin Duck at the Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary in north Asheville, NC. The bird was in the small creek to the right of the
> parking lot, where it was keeping company with a pair of Mallards. I later saw the three birds out on the main body of the lake. Such a bird, a native of Asia, is likely an
> escapee from someone's collection.

Join us on Facebook!