Date: 2/1/17 11:26 am
Subject: RE: Manx Shearwater flight off Nags Head
I’m guessing that the consistent, strong westerly winds blowing for several days created an upwelling situation along the immediate coast. Typically winds in this area blow commonly from the S, SW, N and NE. Consistent west winds are not as common, and set up in this case as a result of a pressure gradient between distant high and low pressure systems. In fact, west winds are one of the least common scenarios on the northern Banks. (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.meteoblue.com_en_weather_forecast_modelclimate_nags-2Dhead-5Funited-2Dstates-2Dof-2Damerica-5F4481427&d=CwIGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=92ypSw7NQ-ybr6xdf_E4qREGzNhetKiyfVgX7wC0SMM&s=2Z9abaS3H_DHboN26T2qi4DKy8COOy3Xsc92aJwNcsI&e= )

West winds (i.e blowing offshore) tend to move the upper layer of water east, replacing it with water brought up (upwelled) from below. This often results in increased nutrient content, which attracts baitfish. Predators follow the bait.

Manx seemed to have stolen the show since shearwaters are not commonly seen from shore, but the influx of Razorbills was impressive, as was the concentration of Humpback Whales. Based on differences in dorsal fins (humpbacks generally don’t fluke up in the shallow waters nearshore) I saw at least 5 different whales between Jennette’s Pier and the Outer Banks Pier on the afternoon of the 28th.

So clearly large amounts of forage were in play over the weekend, with impressive numbers of loons, Razorbills, Manx, Bonaparte’s Gulls, and whales feeding on the bounty.

I noticed that about the time the large number (200+) of Manx came by Nags Head going south, the wind was about to change to NE from W. I’ve seen similar situations at sea from ships where seabirds “ride” the edge of a front. Granted, this backing of the wind to NE was not frontal, but the birds may very well have been riding the edge of those brisk west winds. Once the wind shifted to NE, the spigot seemed to turn off.

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC