Date: 2/1/17 9:14 am
Subject: Re: Coastal Review Article on John Fussell
The article didn't mention his exploits in other aspects of natural
history. He has worked on several natural area inventories for the NC
Natural Heritage Program, and thus he has to know the plants and the
natural communities in the lower Coastal Plain. He knows where just about
every rare plant is located in Carteret County and in Croatan National
Forest, and he has discovered a lot of these locations and species himself.
He helps out on the Croatan butterfly count every year it is held and he
keeps track of rare butterfly locations in those regions, especially Dukes'
Skippers and Crystal Skippers.

"JF" as he is known to his friends, and I were classmates at NC State U.,
and when we were in classes together there he practically never wore socks.
He didn't use a spotting scope for many decades, even though he lived at
the coast. And, until about 8-10 years ago, JF was the birder all the rest
of us were chasing for the top spot on the NC Life List. He NEVER misses
Christmas Bird Counts due to tiredness, illness, work conflicts, etc. His
long string of participation on not only his own Morehead City count but on
Cape Hatteras, Bodie-Pea Island, Mattamuskeet NWR, etc., are as legendary
as the legendary Paul Sykes' CBC participation.

I agree with his assessment of Croatan NF being an ongoing environmental
concern. If the Havelock By-pass ever gets built, as least built where NC
DOT wants to build it (west of current US 70 and cutting through some
highly important savannas), I honestly believe it will kill JF -- either by
a heart attack, or by him standing in the way and being run over by a
bulldozer. He has found several dozen rare plants and animals within this
by-pass corridor. ( And, I think it will kill me also.) We need
environmental fighters like JF in every county, and he is truly both "Mr.
Carteret" and "Mr. Croatan".

Harry LeGrand

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Lena Gallitano <lbg...> wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> It is nice to see John Fussell featured in the Coastal Review Online
> newsletter.
>
> Thank you John for all you've done for birds and birders in North Carolina
> and beyond.
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.coas
> talreview.org_2017_02_19052_&d=CwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlc
> siEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_
> SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=3uMlVrTCoQ_8TboXbqlFUERmbwSLgeB8xIICDZgps
> D0&s=9f7F1sJxiyVQvYCV5lSgOri1g7cnMH8_h9q-0ddo5Ik&e=
> Lena
>
> --
> Lena Gallitano
> Raleigh, NC