Date: 1/31/17 1:36 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
It was a very nice day for the last day of a January. We finished the morning with 80 species. There were no geese when we started the day but we saw about 7000 white geese at the end of the census. Sparrow numbers were very low. We got a couple of Purple Finches at a feeder on the west side of the refuge. We found one group of 17 Neotropic Cormorants near the end of Tern Pad. We saw 31 Wilson's Snipe a specie that had been difficult to find the last few weeks. There was a Winter Wren near the entrance to Meadow Pond Rd. No Bald Eagles were seen today and I feel that they are finally incubating eggs. Duck numbers seemed to be down. We did find a Great Egret at Meadow Pond.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist/S34074111
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!