Date: 1/30/17 4:34 pm
Subject: Re: Sea Bird ID question?
I would love for it to be a Manx - that would be a lifer, but at least with
Sibley, it appears that the Shearwater wings appear much straighter than
the wings of the bird i observed, which is why i got a slight impression of
a Frigate bird. I will say, the coloration does match perfectly, it's just
the shape of the wings that seems contrary.
David

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Jack Rogers <jack...> wrote:

> Not a Manx Shearwater, was it? Certainly matches your description.
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017, 6:36 PM David Gardner <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>> I'm staying on Jekyll Island, GA (I know not technically carolinabirds
>> territory, but figured you could help with the ID).
>> I was on the beach just before sunset (sun behind me - if that helps
>> understand the lighting), and saw what appeared to be a black/very dark
>> brown backed and winged bird with very pointed wings, white or pale belly
>> and dark neck and head, flying very purposefully with powerful wing beats
>> about 10ft off of the water.
>> The first species that came to mind was a jaeger species - but I
>> definitely did not see the white patches on the wings on the top or
>> underside of the wings. Thinking that that rules out the jaegers (I may be
>> wrong), the next thought was an odd looking Frigate bird. I say that just
>> to give you an idea of the overall impression, because I'm pretty convinced
>> it was not one. Key things that it didn't have was - it did not have an
>> exceptionally long tail, and even though it had very aggressively angled
>> wings, the wings did not appear long enough to be a frigatebird. Also, I
>> did not notice a significant bill.
>> So, my conclusion is a jaeger without the white patches, but I don't know
>> if that is possible. If that's the case, then which jaeger (Pomarine?). Any
>> thoughts, insights on this would be helpful.
>> Thanks,
>> David
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --