Date: 1/30/17 3:37 pm
Subject: Sea Bird ID question?
Hi Folks,
I'm staying on Jekyll Island, GA (I know not technically carolinabirds territory, but figured you could help with the ID).
I was on the beach just before sunset (sun behind me - if that helps understand the lighting), and saw what appeared to be a black/very dark brown backed and winged bird with very pointed wings, white or pale belly and dark neck and head, flying very purposefully with powerful wing beats about 10ft off of the water.
The first species that came to mind was a jaeger species - but I definitely did not see the white patches on the wings on the top or underside of the wings. Thinking that that rules out the jaegers (I may be wrong), the next thought was an odd looking Frigate bird. I say that just to give you an idea of the overall impression, because I'm pretty convinced it was not one. Key things that it didn't have was - it did not have an exceptionally long tail, and even though it had very aggressively angled wings, the wings did not appear long enough to be a frigatebird. Also, I did not notice a significant bill.
So, my conclusion is a jaeger without the white patches, but I don't know if that is possible. If that's the case, then which jaeger (Pomarine?). Any thoughts, insights on this would be helpful.
Thanks,
David

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!