Date: 1/30/17 8:47 am
Subject: Wood Stork at Pungo Lake, NC
Looks like Erla Beegle, Robin Myers, and I missed still another good bird
yesterday! After I got home, I got an e-mail from Ric Carter, who did not
know whom to send a rare bird report or photo, so I forwarded it on to Josh
Southern. Yesterday (Jan. 29), he saw and photographed an immature WOOD
STORK at Pungo Lake! Quite rare that far north, especially in midwinter.
The photo is at close range and is clearly a Wood Storkk.

I don't know at what time of the day he had seen it, but it sure would have
been nice to know about the bird by the time the three of us stepped onto
the platform!

I think it best NOT to tally up the good birds we didn't see yesterday! At
least, for me none was a state bird, but a few would have been state birds
or lifers for my traveling partners. Hey -- that's birding!

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!