Date: 1/29/17 4:28 pm
From: Ron <waxwing...>
Subject: Re: Post-OBX rarities
I saw the same flock. I guessed at least 10,000, but I’m sure the number was higher. Quite a sight watching them work the field. I spent ten minutes and saw one Yellow-headed. Back to the Eurasian Wigeon...it took much scanning to find it, even though it isn’t a big lake. Two of us were looking for it. We saw the hybrid in just a few minutes, but had to work at finding the “good” one.

Ron Clark
Kings Mtn. NC

Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:06 PM
To: Ron Clark
Cc: Jack Rogers ; Carolinabirds Listserve

Clarification:
The Yellow-headed Blackbird[s] were located in a large flock of blackbirds off US-264 at the Hyde-Dare County line around the vicinity of Airport Road (north of Engelhard).

Good birding,
Matt Janson
Charlotte, NC

On Jan 29, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Ron Clark <waxwing...> wrote:

Eurasian wIgeon is still there. It took me about 15 minutes to find it. Hybrid also

Ron Clark
Kings Mtn. NC

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Jack Rogers <mailto:jack@ 4rogers.com> wrote:

All,
Martina, Matt, and I started heading home this morning. First birds of note was at least 1 (probably 2, likely more) Yellow-headed Blackbird mixed in with about 600,000 other blackbird species (mostly RW) in an agricultural field off 64 directly north of Airport road (I think Dare county, but we were very close to the county line). About 5,000 Rustys in there too.
Our second attempt was for the Eurasian Wigeon continuing at Mattamuskeet. We were unable to find it but did relocate the hybrid American x Eurasian found yesterday. We had about 30-50 thousand geese flyover. Mostly Snows from what I could see, but 1 Greater White-fronted and 2 Ross's, all heading south.
We were able to relocate the Clay-colored Sparrow on Newland road near Creswell in Washington county right next to the boarded up white house with the brush pile next to it. It was in the brush pile and foraging in the corn field.
We also looked for the Common Mergansers at Phelps Lake but were unable to find a single one. We had about 35 Canvasbacks however which was nice.
Great weekend everybody
Jack Rogers
Mt Pleasant, SC
--