Date: 1/29/17 9:47 am
From: Jack Rogers <jack...>
Subject: Post-OBX rarities
All,
Martina, Matt, and I started heading home this morning. First birds of
note was at least 1 (probably 2, likely more) Yellow-headed Blackbird mixed
in with about 600,000 other blackbird species (mostly RW) in an
agricultural field off 64 directly north of Airport road (I think Dare
county, but we were very close to the county line). About 5,000 Rustys in
there too.
Our second attempt was for the Eurasian Wigeon continuing at Mattamuskeet.
We were unable to find it but did relocate the hybrid American x Eurasian
found yesterday. We had about 30-50 thousand geese flyover. Mostly Snows
from what I could see, but 1 Greater White-fronted and 2 Ross's, all
heading south.
We were able to relocate the Clay-colored Sparrow on Newland road near
Creswell in Washington county right next to the boarded up white house with
the brush pile next to it. It was in the brush pile and foraging in the
corn field.
We also looked for the Common Mergansers at Phelps Lake but were unable to
find a single one. We had about 35 Canvasbacks however which was nice.
Great weekend everybody
Jack Rogers
Mt Pleasant, SC
--