Date: 1/28/17 5:26 am
Subject: Red-cockaded Woodpecker
I want to say thanks to all those folks who provided me with detailed information about where to look for Red-cockaded Woodpecker and Bachman’s Sparrow! As many of you suggested, Weymouth Woods did not disappoint. Within 15 minutes of arriving at the Nature Center I heard some rattle-like calls that I recognized from by bird song CDs and moments later a Red-cockaded Woodpecker appeared in some nearby pines giving me excellent looks at the bird. There were also several Brown-headed Nuthatches coming to the feeders, which was another treat! After Weymouth I headed to the coast with the intention of putting in some time for Bachman’s Sparrow, but on arriving I was so impressed with the vegetation I spent the entire next day botanizing and photographing plants, which I enjoyed a great deal.

Do let me know if anyone is planning a trip to Oregon in the future and I will be happy to provide you with anything I know about your target species.

Thanks again,

Christopher Reidy
Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!