Date: 1/26/17 3:19 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Wilson's Plover at Fort Macon, NC
Yesterday morning I saw a Wilson's Plover at Fort Macon. It was resting on
the upper beach (tide was still fairly high at the time) with a small flock
of Semipalmated Plovers, about 1/2 mile W of the inlet.

This is the first Wilson's I've seen at Fort Macon in winter in several
years.

About 10 years ago, after a period of accretion created some fairly
extensive above-tidal flats next to the inlet, I occasionally saw Wilson's
there at high tide, associated with resting flocks of other shorebirds,
especially Semipalmated Plovers. One winter I had as many as 6 Wilson's in
December, and 5 in January.

Unfortunately, the park ruined that nice shorebird loafing habitat by
putting out Christmas trees and creating dunes. (I realize that dunes would
have probably formed in the area eventually anyway, but the Christmas trees
certainly hastened the process.)

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!