Date: 1/24/17 3:35 pm
From: 'Dan Stringer' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] 37 Greater White-fronted Geese Fremont county
Today I went to Fremont County. Started with Brush Hollow Reservoir, a big
strikeout on a cold windy morning. In Canon City I saw more Canyon Towhees
at Tunnel Drive than usual, about 8 in the general area near the footpath.
No sightings of reported Rufous-crowned Sparrow or over-wintering
White-throated Swifts. On the Temple Canyon Road I saw a single Juniper
Titmouse. On the west side of Centennial Park I saw a Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker. Near the Arkansas River the Western Screech-Owl was in the area
where it's been seen for a few winters.

Since Canon City Valco Ponds is private, I pulled over on the edge of the
parking area to scope it. On the other side of the road to the west is
another, smaller pond, also on private property. I could see a small group
of Canada Geese on the far west side, but threw a binocular view on them
like we always do. To my surprise there were a larger number of Greater
White-fronted Geese than Canada. At one point they flushed and I was able
to count 35 in the air and 2 still on the water. They landed in the field
just northwest of the pond, so they may go back and forth from that pond to
the field, unless there's a smaller pond back there. Perhaps this many
Greater White-fronted Geese in one location isn't uncommon, I just hadn't
seen anything like that before.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO