Date: 1/23/17 11:38 am
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Jan 23, 2017
Dear Texbirders,
We had so much fun birding our way to Pintail Lakes this morning that we
ran out of time and didn't get to bird along Willow Lakes. We did make it
out to the Rio Grande overlook on the Pintail Lakes trail, where we were
rewarded for our efforts with two Groove-billed Anis with two Altamira
Orioles. You won't see them on the list below because although we invited
them over to our side, they stayed firmly put in Mexico. Eight Anhingas
circling overhead were another highlight of the walk. We didn't get eyes on
them but we heard the unmistakable sound of Cedar Waxwings as we returned
to the Visitor Center, a little late but very happy.
Guided bird walks leave from the Santa Ana Visitor Center at 8:30 am every
morning. Come join us!

Steve and Laura Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
Alamo, Texas

Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, Texas, US
Jan 23, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Sunny, calm, 61-79 degrees. Two Groove-billed Anis and 2
additional Altamira Orioles also seen on this walk but they were on the
Mexico side of the river.
71 species (+3 other taxa)

American Wigeon (Anas americana) 2
Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors) 10
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) 12
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 3
Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis) 1
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) 2
Plain Chachalaca (Ortalis vetula) 22
Least Grebe (Tachybaptus dominicus) 2
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 5
Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) 2
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1
Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga) 8
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) 1
Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor) 1
White Ibis (Eudocimus albus) 3
White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) 17
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 2
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 1
White-tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus) 1
Harris's Hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus) 3
White-tailed Hawk (Geranoaetus albicaudatus) 1
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) 1
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) 1 heard only
Sora (Porzana carolina) 1
Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) 1
American Coot (Fulica americana) 12
Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus) 15
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 4
Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) 3
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 2
Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) 1
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 3
Inca Dove (Columbina inca) 2
White-tipped Dove (Leptotila verreauxi) 6
Common Pauraque (Nyctidromus albicollis) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Green Kingfisher (Chloroceryle americana) 2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Melanerpes aurifrons) 2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker (Picoides scalaris) 6
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 6
Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus) 12
Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) 1
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus/couchii) 2
White-eyed Vireo (Vireo griseus) 3
Green Jay (Cyanocorax yncas) 6
swallow sp. (Hirundinidae sp.) 8
Black-crested Titmouse (Baeolophus atricristatus) 8
Verdin (Auriparus flaviceps) 2 heard only
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 1
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 3 heard only
wren sp. (Troglodytidae sp.) 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 2
Clay-colored Thrush (Turdus grayi) 1 heard only
Long-billed Thrasher (Toxostoma longirostre) 4 2 heard only, 2 briefly
seen
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 1 heard only from levee by Visitor
Center
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) 6
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata) 2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 2
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 3
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 70
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna) 2
Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) 1
Altamira Oriole (Icterus gularis) 5
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S33889363