Date: 1/22/17 5:18 pm
Subject: Washington County Birding Today
Hi Folks

Spent the day checking for previously found birds in Washington County. At
Beasley Rd. pond, found one Cackling Goose among the Canadas, but the
White-fronteds were not to be found. Then went to look for the Clay-colored
Sparrow along Newland Road, and it was right where it has been, at the
brush pile on the south side of the road. I then headed to the L. Phelps
Sparrow field near the Cypress Point overlook. Found a Vesper Sparrow
perched in the lone tree at the ditch, all the way at the boundary corner.
It is always a thrill to find one of these very local sparrows in winter.
Then I checked a spot along Newland Road just east of the Canal B road
intersection and found a Lincoln's and a Fox Sparrow. I had 11 sparrow
species and Junco for the day! Then at a spot just north of the Pocosin
Lakes NWR unit on Canal B road, I found 6 Brewer's Blackbirds in the field
on the east side of the road. There were 5 males and 1 female. They were
with a small flock of Robins and Red-wings. Always neat to find this
species away from known locations. Then at a spot on Canal C road, had a
Ross's Goose with Snow Geese and Tundra Swans. Did not find the Trumpeter
Swans or Sandhill Cranes that have recently been in that general area of
the western Pungo fields. Also had a Merlin flyby there. Was a very
enjoyable day of birding, in part because it never rained and the fog
cleared by mid-morning!

Later, Ricky

--
Ricky Davis