Date: 1/22/17 12:23 pm
Subject: Cumberland County NC CBC results
The EIGTH “revived” Cumberland County CBC was held on December 15, 2016
under clear skies, mild temperatures from 30-48 degrees but an approaching
cold front and 15mph wind most of the day. 10 counters in seven parties
tallied 83 species despite the wind, and we were still above the 16 year
average of 80! 8,935 total birds were counted (average 8311) led by 4895
Red-winged Blackbird, 919 American Robin and 246 Chipping Sparrow.

One species were new to the CBC checklist and showing up all across the
state on other counts, a pair of Mute Swan at a quarry lake that has never
had anything on it before and is undeveloped.

Other highlights were all 8 species of woodpecker, three parties with 8
total Blue-headed Vireos, one party with a whopping 10 Red-breasted
Nuthatches and our third Pine Siskin, on a low irruption year no less!

Misses include Bufflehead (6th time missed), Northern Bobwhite (8th), Bald
Eagle (6th), American Coot, Belted Kingfisher (1st time!), Common
Yellowthroat, White-crowned Sparrow, Purple Finch and HOUSE SPARROW (2nd)

Mark your calendars for next years count December 14, 2016

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>