Date: 1/22/17 11:05 am
Subject: Rocky Mount CBC results
The 17th Rocky Mount CBC was held on December 16, 2016 under cloudy skies
and temperatures never above freezing, 20-32 degrees. 8 counters in the
field and 1 feeder counter tallied *92 species (*average 87). We tallied
our all second lowest with 6,591 birds (average 9,423) a third of those
were Red-winged Blackbird at 2,243, 531 Ring-necked Duck and 283
White-throated Sparrows.

Highlights include our second count record Sandhill Crane flying over Swift
Creek wetland, another second count record Bonaparte’s Gull with a pair
over Hwy 97 ponds. Those ponds also had some Bufflehead which was oddly
only our fifth record along with a good assortment of puddle ducks.

Misses include Green-winged Teal, Northern Bobwhite, Herring Gull, Fish
Crow (4th time), Red-breasted Nuthatch, Cedar Waxwing (4th time) and Common
Yellowthroat.

We tied our record low with 5 Yellow-rumped Warlbers!

Thanks to all my intrepid counters for a great count!

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!