Date: 10/22/24 10:41 pm
From: Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Grebes
When I heard them asking me and others at the main parking lot if hunting was allowed there, I told them it probably was but that to be sure they should call IDF&G. They said they were hunting ducks and I told them the only ducks I had seen were Ruddy Ducks.

They left the main parking area and then I drove down to the little parking area by the dam to go check out what was on that end of the reservoir. They were there putting waders on and getting their shotguns out. They said they had seen some ducks and were going to give it a go.

I saw no ducks when I went down to the shore just a lot of Eared Grebes close and far out, a couple of Pied-billed Grebes and a few Western Grebes far out from shore.. About the time I turned around and headed back I heard the shots and wondered what they were shooting at.

When I got to them after I heard the shots they were trying to retrieve the Grebes but found out quickly that it dropped off fast and said they were going to let the wind blow them to shore up by the dam.

I also told them what they had shot and that they were not good to eat. And they said they ground them up with venison and made sausage and jerky. I did not see them shoot the birds but they said they did. I saw a flock of mallards flying by on the other side of the reservoir just after they shot. When I talked to them I told them what the ducks were that flew after they shot and they were the only ducks I had seen on that end of the reservoir. One told the other “I told you they were mallards”.

I did not know until this string started that Grebes were not legal migratory game birds. As I noted earlier back in my hunting days I did not hunt grebes since I had no intention of eating them. My grandfather said they were not good to eat so that was that and I never paid any attention to them until I got into birding many years later. Now I even know there are a number of different types of Grebes and after today that none of them are migratory game birds that can be hunted.

> On Oct 22, 2024, at 11:12 PM, Robert Kiernan via groups.io <photobirder...> wrote:
>
> I'm waiting to hear back from fish &game just in case they want to check it out to catch these guys does any one know how long grebe stay around the 2 hunters I talked to said they hunt there often I did not witness them with grebes Ken did

Ken Miracle
<chukar28...>
208-570-2780
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" 2COR 3:5