Date: 10/21/24 12:45 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] RE: [NHBirds] The passing of Davis Finch
Thanks to Chris Martin for this post.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Christian Martin <cmartin...>
Subject: RE: [NHBirds] The passing of Davis Finch
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 17:59:06 +0000

In addition to his familiarity with the neotropics, Davis Finch was a
mainstay on the Errol-Umbagog CBC for many years, starting with his
first year participating back in 1965.  Davis served as the Errol Count
compiler from 1968 through 1982 (except for 1979) and he continued to
take part in the count through 2007.  One of my fondest early memories
of Davis in the 1990s -- back when I was a greenhorn newbie to this
North Country CBC -- was marveling at him and his long-time birding
buddy Denny Abbott, who together had the gumption to take a
then-already-vintage Volvo coupe on untracked woods roads located
between Errol Hill and Umbagog Lake in late-December, back when there
was no National Wildlife Refuge and no cell phone tower system in place
to facilitate communications. It was something that I was unwilling to
attempt even in my new high-clearance SUV.  Finding and counting those
good birds for the CBC was the only priority!  - Chris Martin

Join us on Facebook!