Date: 10/21/24 9:50 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 10/25 - fall Brookline Bird Club meeting- the Resplendent Quetzal
The Brookline Bird Club invites you to our Hybrid (Live+Zoom) Fall
Meeting on Friday, October 25, 2024 from 7pm-9pm, with a social hour
beginning at 6:30pm.

This hybrid meeting will be hosted at the Harvard University Geologic
Hall (24 Oxford Street, Cambridge) as well as via Zoom for those unable
to attend live. Note that there is free parking at the 52 Oxford Street
Parking garage. The event is open to BBC members and non-members.

***

A dazzling and legendary bird of the highland forests of Mexico and
Central America, Aztec and Mayan cultures revered the Resplendent
Quetzal. How have conservation efforts failed it in many regions, but
given it a boost in others? What else do we know? We will focus on the
RQ’s nesting and feeding ecology, on its central role in Mayan and Aztec
religions, on how it fits into the increasingly threatened rainforests
that sustain it, and on what lies ahead for this bird. Dr. Alan Poole
will share the latest research on this spectacular bird.

An ornithologist with training at Princeton, Yale, and Woods Hole, Alan
Poole has had a long career in the worlds of research and publishing. He
is an Associate of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, a Fellow of the
American Ornithological Society, and the recently retired editor of the
Birds of North America (BNA) – an 18 volume, 18,000 page life history
series now online at Cornell. In addition to editing, Alan has spent
over 40 years in studies of coastal birds, particularly Ospreys, and
completed his 2 nd book on that species (Ospreys: the revival of a
global raptor; Johns Hopkins University Press) in 2019. His new book
about the Resplendent Quetzal, a Neotropical cloud forest beauty, was
published by Cornell/Zona Tropical in October 2023.

For the zoom link, go to:
https://www.brooklinebirdclub.org/tripevent/hybrid-bbc-fall-meeting-the-resplendent-quetzal/

Barbara Volklke
Northborough, MA