Date: 10/20/24 8:42 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Mount Watatic (20 Oct 2024) 150 Raptors
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 00:04:36 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Mount Watatic (20 Oct 2024) 150 Raptors

Merlin 0 0 28
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 6
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 2
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 6
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 1 1 17

Total: 150 150 1808

Observation start time: 09:30:00 Observation end time: 14:00:00 Total
observation time: 4.5 hours

Official Counter: Brian Rusnica

Observers:
Visitors:
None; very busy with day hikers, including 1 successful marriage proposal!

Weather:
Unseasonably warm but otherwise beautiful for October: blue skies with
scattered clouds increasing, great visibility and color throughout. Winds
light from the WNW and turning pure W and hinting at WSW in the later
hours.
Raptor Observations:
A handful of Turkey Vulture kettles made for a decent count on this
impromptu hawkwatch today. I got a late start but was counting by 10:30am
EDT. I saw some distant birds but hit paydirt with some rather high Turkey
Vulture kettles off to the NE of the mountain. The largest group of birds
today was 40 - it was fun to watch them deliberately run the ridges off to
our East, including a pass over nearby Blood Hill in Ashby. A couple of
other groups approached 20 Vultures.
Other than that - nothing significant, some average Bald Eagle movement
this time of year.
Non-migrant Raptors
6 Bald Eagle
3 Red-shouldered Hawk
4 Turkey Vulture

Non-raptor Observations:
8 Common Ravens

Predictions:
No formal count planned. If you count any raptors at Mount Watatic the
rest of the Fall, please email me your sightings at <14hawks8owls...>
As we approach November, many excellent species begin to peak their
migration, highlighted by accipiters, Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks.
Migrant Bald Eagles have been plentiful in later months as well. You also
have an increased chance at wonderful rarities like Northern Goshawk,
Golden Eagle and Rough-legged Hawk in these colder months. I encourage
folks to explore Watatic during the late Fall, especially on days with NW
winds!

Report submitted by Brian Rusnica (<brian_rusnica...>)
Mount Watatic information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=229

Join us on Facebook!