Date: 10/17/24 1:17 pm
From: KevinMcG via groups.io <kmcgrath...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Thursday Oct 17.
The near icy cold air (34 at 8 am) and warm lake water generated a heavy, nearly impenetrable ground fog over Saratoga and Round Lake.  We made a full circuit of Saratoga Lake  before pushing on to RL unable to see more than about 50 yards.  needless to say a few geese, mallards, and Ring bills tucked up close to shore was all we could see.

At RL the fog started to lift and burn off by the climbing sun.  Visibility was still difficult but we could pull out some Cormorants, one unidentifiable Grebe, some geese and mallards.  Returning to Saratoga we looped the lake a second time to find a solo loon and a large raft (40 ish) of distance sea ducks, most likely black scoter but not confirmed.

We then ran down to Collins Lake in Scotia for some great looks at the Ross’s Goose, Ruddy Duck, and a solo female Scaup.