Date: 10/17/24 7:37 am
Subject: Walcott Tract, Green River Game Lands, Polk Co. NC report and photos
Sorry for the belated post - I have been Internet-challenged in western NC
over most of the past week.

I took a break from helping with relief efforts in the Green River Cove and
birded the Walcott Tract of the Green River Game Lands this past Sunday,
October 13. Still warblers around and good numbers of Gray-cheeked
Thrushes and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. Sparrows are starting to arrive /
migrate through - I had White-throated, Song, Chipping and Field Sparrows
when about a week before I only had Chipping.

The sparrows were in the grassy/brushy road margins along the entrance road
- but not out in the overgrown fields that usually have great sparrow
habitat of millet, mature grasses, wildflowers, etc. Sadly most of the
fields are a barren sandbar caused by Hurricane Helene's flooding. The
riverside forest edges are greatly degraded and missing in sections. Walls
of fallen trees and human debris are piled up along the river against
remaining trees.

And the access road into the Walcott Tract (through the edge of Wilderness
Cove campground) has partially washed away. It is worst at the entrance
into Wilderness Cove campground beside the bridge. Hard to see how the NC
Wildlife and Resources Commission can get vehicles and tractors into the
Walcott Tract without rebuilding the eroded road or permission from
Wilderness Cove for a new right of way arrangement. I hope they are able
to do so to maintain the habitat and oldfield / early successional areas at
Walcott.

Photo of the missing entrance road:
flickr.com/photos/scbirdpics/54073680243/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

View of the entrance and gate from across the river:
flickr.com/photos/scbirdpics/54073752889/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

View of the gate and missing bulletin board from the parking lot:
flickr.com/photos/scbirdpics/54073680003/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

View from the road of the former ag fields / oldfield habitat:
flickr.com/photos/scbirdpics/54073879975/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

Flotsam atop a six foot high wall of trees and debris:
flickr.com/photos/scbirdpics/54073709998/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

* There is currently not much in the way of public parking available to
visit the Walcott Tract. And while the Green River Cove Road is open and
barely passable from the bottom end, locals ask that the public not visit
or sight see unless they are actually assisting local relief efforts.

-- On a happier note, this past Monday I had a delightful encounter with an
unafraid Southern Bog Lemming (Synaptomys cooperi) on my family's property
in Saluda, NC.
Here is a video clip: youtube.com/shorts/fS4kpAvZLBI

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/

--

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands more
skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle

Join us on Facebook!