Date: 10/17/24 6:44 am
Subject: Re: warblers at Jackson Bluff (Horry Co. SC)
For what it's worth, this is very much still happening a week later. I'm now up to 14 species of warblers seen in this little strip and I HOPE there might be even more. But the really fun thing is the numbers. It feels like you could look at a new Northern Parula every thirty seconds for an hour. I mean, there's some repetition - the largest number I've ebirded is 40. But that's how it feels.

Just does not happen this way around Conway SC (even if those of you with access to migration hotspots experience it regularly).

Black-and-White
Tennessee
Nashville
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Cape May
Northern Parula
Magnolia
Blackburnian
Chestnut-sided
Black-throated Blue
Palm
Pine
Yellow-throated
Prairie
Black-throated Green

Chris Hill, Ph.D.
Professor
Biology Department
Coastal Carolina University
Office: Douglas 207H
(843) 349-2567
email: <chill...>

> On Oct 10, 2024, at 5:57 PM, Christopher Hill <Chill...> wrote:
>
> I don't know if anyone still finds out about local bird happenings from this list, but if there are any Horry County SC birders out there....
>
> John Hutchens found a nice bunch of warblers right at the Jackson Bluff WTP off 544 in Conway. This same thing happened like three years ago or so - exact same place exact same phenomenon - mid-October all of a sudden there was a great variety (for Horry County) and good numbers of warblers along this same strip of trees, and that time they stayed for nearly two weeks so maybe these guys will be around if you have time to check it out. Drive past the pond, turn left and park at the radio tower. Walk up and down that sunlit strip of trees from the stopsign to the end of the pond (after turning left at the stop sign). Good numbers, good variety, easy to see.
>
> My list from this afternoon is here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S198263165
> John's from yesterday is here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S198165788
>
> Chris Hill, Ph.D.
> Professor