Date: 10/13/24 10:43 am
From: lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <carriganbw...>
Subject: [IBLE] The "Harbinger"
I'm sure everyone has their personal harbingers of what signals a change of seasons or events. Being a birder, I look for certain birds to indicate a change of seasons: the arrival of Yellow Warblers for spring, appearance of Black-chinned Hummingbird for summer & late night Great-horned Owl calls in winter.

My fall indicator, & most reliable harbinger of fall migration nearing an end, is the appearance of either Hermit or Swainson's Thrushes. Today, it was a Hermit. Gave me great binocular views with reddish tail & crisp, black spotting on chest with a complete white eyering. A change in weather is expected by mid-week. Seems fall is here & the riverside cottonwoods are peaking, & stunning, in their color right now. Combined with several amazing aurora borealis displays this past week & a comet just coming into eye visibility view, all have the makeup for a great fall.

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot