Date: 10/13/24 7:42 am
From: eBird alert via groups.io <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Common Gallinule (3 reports)
- Craveri's Murrelet (2 reports)
- Brown Booby (1 report)
- Blue-footed Booby (1 report)
- American Bittern (1 report)
- Burrowing Owl (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Cliff Swallow (2 reports)
- Green-tailed Towhee (1 report)
- Black-throated Blue Warbler (1 report)
- Palm Warbler (1 report)
- Yellow-rumped Warbler (1 report)
- Hepatic Tanager (5 reports)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 06:08 by Conor McMahon
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "Continuing from yesterday"

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 17:40 by Michael I Christie
- Coal Oil Point Reserve--Dune Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.881839&<ll...>,-119.881839
- Comments: "I think an immature, mixed with ducks and coots along reedbed edge, but also swam across open water. Short, heavy bill still grayish, brownish back (looked reddish at dusk), white on flanks and undertail coverts. Will add pics."

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 06:08 by Conor McMahon
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "Presumably continuing bird. Coot-like but brownish above, red bill with yellow tip."

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 06:08 by Linus Blomqvist
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "Presumably continuing bird. Coot-like but brownish above, red bill with yellow tip."

Craveri's Murrelet (Synthliboramphus craveri) (19) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 12:36 by Todd Easterla
- Offshore--Area between Anacapa and Santa Barbara Island, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.196167&<ll...>,-119.196167
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Black and white murrelets with black faces, narrow bills, long tails, dark underwings, breast spurs. All seen fairly well."

Craveri's Murrelet (Synthliboramphus craveri) (2)
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 14:34 by Todd Easterla
- Offshore--southern Pilgrim Bank, north of Santa Barbara Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.1055298&<ll...>,-119.1055298
- Comments: "Close looks at a pair of black and white murrelets with dark underwings"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (3)
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 12:36 by Todd Easterla
- Offshore--Area between Anacapa and Santa Barbara Island, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.196167&<ll...>,-119.196167
- Comments: "Female Brown Boobies, presumed "Cocos Boobies" flying past us as we approached Santa Barbara Island."

Blue-footed Booby (Sula nebouxii) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 13:27 by Todd Easterla
- Santa Barbara Island--Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.0485161&<ll...>,-119.0485161
- Media: 20 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Adult boobies with streaky heads and necks (brown streaks on white) and bright blue legs and feet. Two birds seen simultaneously: One bird flying around dangling blue legs, and tussling with other boobies; a second bird sitting on the cliff near the top of the rock."

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 09:30 by Dar Roberts
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Comments: "At the SW corner of Lake Los Carneros. I have seen one in this area many times"

Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 12:36 by Todd Easterla
- Offshore--Area between Anacapa and Santa Barbara Island, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.196167&<ll...>,-119.196167
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "33.684121,-119.371917 - nowhere near any landmass.

We were shocked to see that a bird being chased by a Parasitic Jaeger in the distance was an owl, eventually seen well and photographed to be a Burrowing Owl. No confusion species with good looks in the daylight."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 10:46 by Jamie Chavez
- Santa Maria Cemetery, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.4259048&<ll...>,-120.4259048
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Two males were present at the north end of the cemetery grounds in the "old section." One was fully red and brown, and the second male was pale whitish on the throat and upper breast with red feathering coming in, and red splotches on the crown. Both were actively flycatching from low perches on the headstones, water spigots, and low tree branches. Photographed"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 16:59 by Noah Gaines
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Comments: "Kingbird with Super bright yellow belly and breast. Seen across lake. From dam."

Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) (35)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 06:08 by Linus Blomqvist
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "Swallow, pale below and with pale rump. Short tail."

Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) (35)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 06:08 by Conor McMahon
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "Swallow, pale below and with pale rump. Short tail."

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 07:12 by Jaime Chaves
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.0405478&<ll...>,-120.0405478
- Comments: "rufous crown, white throat, green olive wings and tail, gray underbelly."

Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) (1)
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 06:30 by Cory Harper
- Off the coast Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.793528&<ll...>,-120.793528
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Bird landed on an oceanographic research vessel off the coast of Pismo Beach, California. Landed on the vessel and hopped around or hid for multiple hours."

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 10:14 by Ron Hirst
- Santa Barbara Cemetery Association, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.41738, -119.65694, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.656937&<ll...>,-119.656937
- Comments: "with a few yr warblers gleaning on grass. bobbing tail, eyebrow, yellow undertail paler throat, breast and belly - western palm"

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) (1)
- Reported Oct 11, 2024 12:36 by Todd Easterla
- Offshore--Area between Anacapa and Santa Barbara Island, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.196167&<ll...>,-119.196167
- Comments: "33.653032,-119.328884

Passerine flying low over the water in heavy overcast conditions with no land visible in any direction. Yellow rump and white tail spots seen well. Not heard to call. Ezekiel may have photos"

Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 16:30 by Noah Gaines
- Evergreen Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8909131&<ll...>,-119.8909131
- Comments: "Found earlier by Nick Lethaby. Similar to Summer tanager with intense brick red coloration throughout but shorter all dark bill. Brightest on throat and front of head dark cheek patch. Grayer in back and stomach. Reddish tail and wings. Heard the chuck call once. Watched at medium range in in the eucs nearest to San Milano for about 8 min with Ryan Seppala"

Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 16:06 by Dean Wrench
- Evergreen Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8909131&<ll...>,-119.8909131
- Comments: "Striking red Tanager. Actively foraging for insects in eucalyptus trees."

Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 14:54 by Ryan Seppala
- Evergreen Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8909131&<ll...>,-119.8909131
- Comments: "Continuing male found by Nick Lethaby this morning. Details later."

Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 10:02 by Alex Castelein
- Evergreen Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8909131&<ll...>,-119.8909131
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing, great find by Nick Lethaby! Heard a few chup calls and located the bright red bird midway up some of the eucs. Small gray bill and a dull gray wash to back, flanks, and mostly noticeably the lore/auricular patch. Photo"

Hepatic Tanager (Piranga flava) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2024 09:50 by Dawn Hovey
- Evergreen Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8909131&<ll...>,-119.8909131
- Comments: "First reported by Nick Lethaby this morning. Red and grayish bird sitting high in a eucalyptus in the same area Nick had seen it. I wasn't going to report it because I was the only one who saw it at that time, and I didn't get a picture, and I've never seen one before. But then I saw Alex Castelein's picture from later in the day and that looks exactly like what I saw."

View/Reply Online (#37903): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37903
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county
-=-=-