Date: 10/11/24 9:05 pm
From: Alex Castelein via groups.io <alex.castelein...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] 10/10-10/11 - Red-eyed Vireo, more on Orchards, White Pelicans, Nighthawks, etc
Late this morning I birded San Miguel Open Space, which was fairly birdy
overall but not amazing with migrants, until I spotted my lifer *Red-eyed
Vireo*! The bird was foraging silently in the mid to upper canopy of the
trees above of the bridge and upstream from there. Otherwise there wasn't
anything noteworthy.

Yesterday morning I started in west Isla Vista, kinda hoping to refind the
White-winged Dove spotted the previous day by Pam Viale. I failed to find
it, but had yet another encounter with an *Orchard Oriole*, this one an
adult male again. He was loudly and incessantly calling typical Orchard
'chuks' from pink trumpet flowers behind the barn on the south side of
Estero Park. I talked to my icterid guy and this adult is definitely
different from the patchy looking male I had 2 weeks ago (only 100 meters
away), which means there have been at least 3 birds in the vicinity
recently. I imagine it is likely we'll have this species overwintering here
again, with all the good ornamentals.

After photographing the oriole, I went back to La Fortuna Ln where I had
the adult male Orchard on Monday to see if there might be 2 around. No luck
with an oriole there, but lo and behold the *White-winged Dove* decided to
land on the wires right above me. It proceeded to fly slightly south and
land on a wire right next to an immature Band-tailed Pigeon, another
species that is very unusual in Isla Vista (of course very common elsewhere
in the county). Two new columbids for me in Isla Vista!

A quick check at Patterson Open Space early this afternoon showed that
there were still many birds feeding in the fruiting tree that Ryan Seppala
discovered. I couldn't stay long but this would be a good spot to continue
monitoring, as it could generate more scarcities. Any fruiting trees like
fig or persimmon can be great this time of year for tanagers, orioles,
grosbeaks, etc.

This evening I walked the COPR dune pond trail and had a few birds of note.
First a *Tropical Kingbird* was trilling and battling some Cassin's close
to Venoco Bridge. Next, I was surprised to see 6 *American White
Pelicans* leisurely
swimming around in Devereux Slough, a long overdue county bird for me!
They're not that rare but have been few and far between on the South Coast
in the last few years, so definitely worth a mention as they'll likely stay
until tomorrow morning at least. Most of the same birds as last time
remained at the dune pond (except the snipe), with additions of my first
Ring-necked Duck of the fall. a third ibis, and 2 *Lesser Nighthawks *putting
on a show.

Also I realized my dates were all off by 1 on my last post, sorry about
that. As always photos, recordings, and details can be found on eBird.

Happy birding!
Alex Castelein
Isla Vista/UCSB

View/Reply Online (#37894): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37894