Date: 10/11/24 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: Any experience with Haikubox?
I haven't heard of Haikubox, but I just recently ordered a product that
apparently does the same thing.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.birdweather.com/shop-birdweather-puc__;!!OToaGQ!rbHxFsQwqqw9F_1Q7PQ0bSmuLesYO1rXqSfxULbywhv-aCAC1HGkEfrpbjhSu7nFAMrAaSyVUw7IysJjhGjp$

It's $249 one time, no subscription. Also, all of the data is openly
available. You can see other stations here:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://app.birdweather.com/__;!!OToaGQ!rbHxFsQwqqw9F_1Q7PQ0bSmuLesYO1rXqSfxULbywhv-aCAC1HGkEfrpbjhSu7nFAMrAaSyVUw7IygSrxEU7$

There is some open source software that you can probably get up and running
for free, if you're nerdy enough and have a Raspberry Pi laying around:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.birdweather.com/birdnetpi__;!!OToaGQ!rbHxFsQwqqw9F_1Q7PQ0bSmuLesYO1rXqSfxULbywhv-aCAC1HGkEfrpbjhSu7nFAMrAaSyVUw7IyjbEpTS6$

I haven't received the BirdWeather PUC yet, but can report back on the
experience once I get it up and running if folks are interested.

Michael Fogleman
Cary, NC

On Fri, Oct 11, 2024 at 4:29 PM Chris Canfield <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> A new friend who is a beginning birder mentioned a new(ish) 24-hour sound
> monitoring system she uses in her yard and loves. It is Haikubox
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://haikubox.com/?srsltid=AfmBOortZuq5F9PH6j3uoFztJaecF20CQY9Gab83-PWqPsqDLgKAYxTz__;!!OToaGQ!rbHxFsQwqqw9F_1Q7PQ0bSmuLesYO1rXqSfxULbywhv-aCAC1HGkEfrpbjhSu7nFAMrAaSyVUw7IylbrAheZ$
> Just curious if any others have experience with it and whether it is
> helpful in more advanced interests, such as learning if a new warbler
> passed through or what might be migrating at night (e.g., if it recognizes
> nocturnal vocalizations at a distance). Or is this more just a fun
> backyard technology at this point? At $400 and ongoing annual subscription
> commitments, I want to look and listen before I leap.
>
> I do wonder at what point the technology (both sound/visual recognition
> and AI) will drastically alter our monitoring and count protocols.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Canfield
> Pittsboro, NC
>
> P.S. Nice rose-breasted grosbeak (young male) at my feeders all day
> yesterday. ccc

Join us on Facebook!