Date: 10/11/24 1:29 pm
Subject: Any experience with Haikubox?
A new friend who is a beginning birder mentioned a new(ish) 24-hour sound monitoring system she uses in her yard and loves. It is Haikubox https://haikubox.com/?srsltid=AfmBOortZuq5F9PH6j3uoFztJaecF20CQY9Gab83-PWqPsqDLgKAYxTz Just curious if any others have experience with it and whether it is helpful in more advanced interests, such as learning if a new warbler passed through or what might be migrating at night (e.g., if it recognizes nocturnal vocalizations at a distance). Or is this more just a fun backyard technology at this point? At $400 and ongoing annual subscription commitments, I want to look and listen before I leap.

I do wonder at what point the technology (both sound/visual recognition and AI) will drastically alter our monitoring and count protocols.

Thanks,

Chris Canfield
Pittsboro, NC

P.S. Nice rose-breasted grosbeak (young male) at my feeders all day yesterday. ccc

Join us on Facebook!