Date: 10/8/24 2:59 am
Subject: Re: Red-shoulder eats roadkill?
Birds of the World has these references for Red-shouldered Hawks eating
carrion. Apparently not a common occurrence.

Palmer, R. S. (1988h). "Red-shouldered Hawk." In Handbook of North American
birds, edited by R. S. Palmer, 413-429. New Haven: Yale University Press.

Dykstra, C. R., J. L. Hays, M. M. Simon and F. B. Daniel. (2003). Behavior
and prey of nesting Red-shouldered Hawks in southwestern Ohio. Journal of
Raptor Research 37 (3):177-187.

Pranty, B. (2002a). Red-shouldered Hawk feeds on carrion. Journal of Raptor
Research 36 (2):152-153.

--
Norm Budnitz
Chapel Hill